Creams & Gels
LOW TESTOSTERONE TREATMENT OPTION – TESTOSTERONE GELS, LIQUIDS AND CREAMS
At The Male Health & Hormone Center of Excellence, we offer a variety of advanced testosterone replacement therapy options. Remember, before beginning your testosterone therapy you MUST have an accurate diagnosis and a customized Low T treatment protocol. Blood tests are necessary for Dr. Robert Pugach to determine the levels of both total and free testosterone and to help ensure that you have no evidence of prostate cancer. Based on those results, and a completed medical history and examination, Dr. Pugach will discuss testosterone replacement topical products thoroughly with you.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF USING TESTOSTERONE GELS, LIQUIDS AND CREAMS?
Testosterone gels and liquids are hormonal supplements that are growing in popularity. Perhaps you have seen the commercials about Low T and products like Androgel, Testim and Axiron?* A lot of work has been done by pharmaceutical companies to develop these new and easier treatments. Testosterone gels and liquids are applied daily and can be an easy way to supplement your testosterone levels. Dr. Robert Pugach also utilizes compounding pharmacies to individually compound testosterone creams for his patients. The advantages of using a Low T topical hormonal product are as follows:
- Most products are quick-drying and odorless
- They may be available as a metered-dose pump
- Daily use can help maintain testosterone levels at consistent levels
WHAT ARE THE DISADVANTAGES OF USING TESTOSTERONE GELS, LIQUIDS AND CREAMS?
While some men achieve good results with topical products, there can be problems and challenges. The potential disadvantages are summarized below:
- Some men can’t absorb enough of the product so consistent levels in your bloodstream may be difficult to attain. This occurs in approximately 60% of men
- You must remember to apply the product every day. Failure to do so will result in inconsistent testosterone levels
- The cost typically is $300 – $4000 per month if your insurance doesn’t cover it so it’s important to be sure your plan cover the topical medication
- The gels can be sticky and may make your shirt adhere to your upper body.
- Gels can be absorbed by someone else who makes skin contact with the area of application. So, children and significant others shouldn’t make contact with your chest area for at least one hour after application and longer if you perspire during the day
- It’s important to wash your hands with soap and water after using the testosterone gel and to cover the treated skin with clothing
* Advisory Warning: Secondary exposure to testosterone gel (Lilly USA): Virilization has been reported in children secondarily exposed to topical testosterone products. Children should avoid contact with unwashed or unclothed application sites in men using AXIRON.
FEELING YOUR BEST
Dr. Pugach advises his male hormone patients that testosterone replacement therapy is an individualized process. At The Male Health & Hormone Center of Excellence we’re here to give you a proper evaluation and help you make the right choice to improve your testosterone levels if that’s the right thing for you.
Low testosterone levels can be life altering for men. Understand the signs, symptoms and the many treatment options.
Call 888.735.4336 for your confidential appointment or email us via our Contact Us form for more information.