“My staff and I are committed to providing the finest urological services in a friendly, personalized and caring environment. We will do our best to meet and exceed your expectations for your healthcare.”
Dr. Robert Pugach was born in 1952 in Englewood, New Jersey. He received a Bachelor of Science Degree from New York University in 1974. After completing medical studies at the College of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, he went to New York University-Booth Memorial Medical Center where he completed general surgery residency. He then did his urology training at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine-Montefiore Medical Center in New York, finishing in 1985.
Dr. Robert Pugach moved to California, where he became Department Head of Urology for CIGNA Health plan. In 1988, he opened his private practice in urology. In 2003, he founded Pacific Coast Urology Medical Center to focus on new, minimally invasive treatment options for urology patients. Pacific Coast Urology Medical Center now has convenient Orange County and Los Angeles County offices in Los Alamitos and Huntington Beach, CA.
Dr. Robert Pugach is the Medical Director of Western States HIFU. He has one of the largest prostate cancer practices in California and and treats patients from all states and internationally. Dr. Pugach has devoted his career on effective minimally invasive technologies and procedures that treat a variety of urological conditions. One remarkable treatment for prostate cancer is High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU)). He is one of the world’s most experienced HIFU practitioners and is in a select group of urologists certified to teach other doctors how to perform HIFU. Additionally, Dr. Pugach is one of the most experienced urologist in cryoablation – prostate freezing – for cancer.
Dr. Pugach and Evans Tran, PA have been elected to the teaching faculty of Teleflex/Neotract, manufacturer of the remarkable Urolift® system for non-surgical treatment of BPH. Evans was the featured speaker at the January 2020 meeting for Urology Advanced Practice Providers to teach the Urolift® procedure and to share how impactful the procedure has been for men with BPH.
ADVANCED CERTIFICATION & TRAINING
Dr. Pugach continued his education and skill development in many areas including advanced skills training in microsurgery techniques. He attended Cornell University’s Advanced Microsurgery Fellowship program in 2007 and 2013. A select group of doctors throughout the world attend this program to train with Dr. Mark Goldstein and Dr. Phillip Li, leaders in these techniques for reproductive microsurgery. This continuing education allows Dr. Pugach to offer a full array of services for infertility patients including Testicular Sperm Aspiration (TESA).
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- Dr. Pugach is the most experienced urologist in the western United States in the use of Thermotherapy for benign prostate growth.
- Dr. Pugach offers the two leading minimally invasive therapies for non-surgical treatment of prostate cancer in men. The newest of these – High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) – was approved in the United States in 2015.Dr. Pugach is the 3rd most experienced HIFU practitioner in the U.S. and one of only a few certified HIFU teachers and proctors.
- Dr. Pugach is also the most experienced practitioner of cryoablation for prostate cancer. This freezes the prostate to kill cancer cells. Dr. Pugach has done more cryoablation procedures than any other urologist in southern California.
- Dr. Pugach has taught other urologists about treatment techniques for benign prostate growth and prostate cancer. He has done this at numerous meetings of the American Urological Association. He travelled to China to teach microwave thermotherapy to their urologists at the People’s First Hospital in Beijing and in Shanghai.
- Dr. Pugach was elected as the Vice Chair of the American Medical Association’s Organized Medical Staff Governing Council.
- Dr. Pugach is active in many medical executive capacities, including his position at a member of the Board of Trustees of the California Medical Association.
- Dr. Pugach is a member of the Medical Executive Committee of the Los Alamitos Surgery Center.
- Dr. Pugach is an active member of the American Association of Clinical Urologists (AACU).
- Dr. Pugach was awarded his certification for Continuing Medical Education by the Institute for Medical Quality, a subsidiary of the California Medical Association.
- Dr. Pugach was elected as a Fellow of the American Institute of Healthcare Quality for the American Board of Quality Assurance and Utilization Review.
- Dr. Pugach was honored as an educator with a lifetime membership in the Harvard Men’s Health Forum.
- Dr. Pugach has been recognized by the College of Allied Health Professions in recognition of his participation as a preceptor for the physician assistant program.
- Dr. Pugach served as the President and Chief Executive Officer of Community Hospital of Long Beach and led the effort to re-open this valuable neighborhood hospital.
CALL: 888-735-4336 OR EMAIL US VIA OUR CONTACT US FORM